August 21 / 17
Hello….hope everyone enjoyed their weekend like I did, although it was too short. This month’s Shadow Spotlight falls on the Association of Writers & Writing Program, also known as AWP. I know that posted about this organization, but for the new followers, here is some information about AWP.
Credit source: Association of Writers & Writing Programs
The mission of the Association of Writers & Writing Programs is to foster literary achievement,
to advance the art of writing as essential to a good education, and to serve the makers, teachers,
students, and readers of contemporary writing.
Because literature is a source of awareness and enchantment, it is a medium for wisdom,
creativity, and joy. Because literature maps our shared experiences, it is a builder of communities.
AWP’s purpose is to cultivate the making and appreciation of contemporary literature along with
those attendant virtues: wisdom, creativity, community, and joy.
AWP seeks to help writers and teachers do their best possible work while we help writers
connect with the widest possible audience.
AWP’s Core Values
• Contemporary literature for its power to enrich the lives of individuals and communities
• Writers & writing programs
• Excellence in the teaching of writing
• The Master of Fine Arts (MFA) as the appropriate terminal degree for writers who teach
• The cultivation of growing literary audiences
For information on individual, gift, and organizational membership go to www.awpwriter.org/about/overview.
Association of Writers & Writing Programs
University of Maryland
5245 Greenbelt Rd,
College Park, MD 20740
Fax: Not available until August
Department Contact Information: www.awpwriter.org/about/contact_us.
Here is some information about next years conference and book fair…
2018 AWP Conference & Bookfair
Tampa Convention Center
& Marriott Tampa Waterside
March 7 – 10, 2018
- March 7, 2017: #AWP18 Tampa event proposal system opens
- May 1, 2017: Deadline for #AWP18 event proposals
- July 31, 2017: Registration opens
- July 31, 2017: Accepted events announced
- August 14, 2017: Hotel & Travel information released to attendees
- March 8, 2018: Conference events begin
Materials to View/Download
Click on links to get the information you need. If you’re interested in attending next years conference, you can register today. Enjoy your Monday be blessed.
Image source: Desktop Background